Saturday, May 23, 2020

Living Room Entertainment and Reasons Not to Document it


Last night my creative little heart invited us to an evening of entertainment. His act: stand-up comedy. He has spent a lot of time during this quarantine creating funny videos and comic strips. He enjoys a standing weekly date with his Mimi on Sunday nights where they watch Americas Funniest Videos together virtually while on facetime. It made me think about how important it is to find reasons to laugh during this time of  quarantine that is so full of heavy, serious, scary, dull and boring moments.
Watching my son enter the room in a fun outfit he put together, carrying a mic made of tinker toys reminded me of my child hood. My sister and I would put on performances for my parents friends and our family. We would push the coffee table out of the way and sing and dance. I recall one time when I played the piano keyboard for my grandparents. When I was done they clapped and said, “Encore, play us another!” I only knew one song so I started playing it again and my Grampy said to my Gram, “I thought she was going to play another song, a different song!” She elbowed him in the ribs and while smiling, nodded at me to continue.
These are some of my best childhood memories. I purposely have no images or video from last night’s comedy show to share with you because I promised my son that I would keep that private, just for family, but it got me to thinking: How much does sharing video and images of these moments alter them? How unencumbered were my sister and I when we twirled and danced without fear that it would be posted publicly? How freeing is that to have these moments as memories without being publicly documented?
Tina Fey shared on The Tonight Show a few weeks ago that her kids and some of their cousins and friends kids put on a talent show virtually using video conferencing. She said it was a great way to get the kids off their screens every once in a while. (If you’ve been parenting through this quarantine you know the struggle to limit screen time while distance learning on the internet and the easy access to hours of streaming entertainment. The struggle is real!) Anyway, Fey said that she loved being able to send them off to practice for the talent show. My older son created a video clip of himself playing guitar for his schools virtual talent show. Sharing these memories through the technology available is a fun way to keep us somewhat connected while forced to stay apart.
I organized some of my own students (and a few brave teachers) to submit video clips of them dancing to a song they all knew from school that had motions. Some students really enjoyed it and others were good sports and participated out of obligation. I only shared it with our small school community, but still the fear of documenting something potentially silly deterred some students from enjoying participating and prevented others from joining in at all.
I guess my muse about at home live entertainment this morning is that I want to encourage families to create space this summer for their kids to put on a show completely undocumented. Give them your full attention and allow them the gift of being able to take the risk of being silly or performing in front of you without the anxiety of it being archived on social media. Sit back, relax and enjoy the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment